Thursday, August 23, 2012

30 for my 30th

One week from today, I will turn 30 (Insert 'getting old' comments here). While all in good fun, thinking about turning 30 makes me wonder what this coming decade will bring. My 20s were absolutely amazing: meeting and marrying my husband, having children, building a house, getting a job... I feel so incredibly blessed.

It brings back memories of those papers we all wrote in school..."what do you think you'll be doing in 5 years? 10?"

I wish I had saved those, to see if I was doing everything my teenage self thought I would do. But as this next decade rolls around, I've decided I don't want to do what I've always done. Because I've been complacent. Comfortable. Even lazy. And if I've learned anything these past few months, it's that I want to make a difference. I want to grow. I want to be okay with stepping outside my comfort level.

How about you? Do you ever have those moments, where you think to yourself, "You know, I can do more than this. Work is good, I'm busy with my family and kids, but I need to help others. I want to help others."

The good news is, you can. All from your computer as you read this. There are families out there being called to adopt, to save a child, but they get hung up by funding. Adoptions have a wide variety of costs, and they can easily total more than $30,000. I am utterly amazed by the number of families who are doing anything and everything to bring a child home. It warms my heart when I see the good news that a family is fully funded.

If you're willing, and want to join my celebratory atmosphere of entering my 30s, would you do one thing? Donate $30 to a family adopting or a child waiting to be adopted. Visit www.reecesrainbow.org and thumb through the pages of special needs children, waiting for a family to rescue them. Most, if not all, have a donate button by their names. Check out sweet Damon, a precious boy in Eastern Europe with Down Syndrome, born September, 2011. Or check out families who are in the process of adopting, and see if they have a fund you can donate to (most do).

So will you help? If not $30, maybe $5 or $10? I know adoption sites like these can be overwhelming. There are so many orphans out there needing a home. But you can make a difference to one.

1 comment:

  1. I had some time this morning to look at the link to Reeces Rainbow. You're right, it is a bit overwhelming, but what a great organization for the advocacy of adoption of so many children! Clay and I were happy to donate toward little Damon's account in honor of your 30th. Happy Birthday Courtney!

    ReplyDelete