Sunday, October 28, 2012

One Month Officially "In"

We're officially one month in to the waiting process, or as our Ethiopia-adoption group calls it: One Month DTE (Dossier to Ethiopia). We had a great day at church, followed by our new tradition for this waiting period. On the 28th of every month, until we receive our referral, we will send balloons up in the air and celebrate with a bowl of ice cream. My girls think the ice cream is a simply marvelous addition and the balloons give them something to look forward to each month.

 
Before we picked up the balloons, Meredith insisted on making her brother a picture (She remains convinced that these balloons make it all the way to Ethiopia and into the arms of her brother. I am not about to lead her differently – don’t you just love the innocence of a child?). She said, “Mommy, I need you to write these words down on the paper. Write, ‘Jesus, please help my brother.’ And I will sign it.”
 

We taped the drawing to the balloon, walked outside, and the girls let them go. For 5 seconds, we silently watched the balloons move quickly into the sky. And then we heard a sickening “POP.” Meredith’s balloon unfortunately got stuck in a tree, and popped right there, leaving the drawing dangling from the branch. Oh, the tears that fell from her sweet eyes. I held her on the front steps of the porch as she sobbed. All she wanted was for her brother to have that picture. My poor heart ached for her – she just wants him home, and I do too.

Fortunately, the wind must have carried off the drawing because we no longer see it dangling in the tree. She is hopeful that it’s still on its way to Africa. And I am too.

 




 
The night ended in more tears, but those were all me. I made the sore mistake of reading a children’s book to the girls for their bedtime story that had just arrived in the mail. Why I don’t pre-read these books first is beyond me (note to self: a children’s book about adoption is likely to cause emotion). If you haven’t heard of the book, Mommy’s Heart Went POP!, and you’re looking for a way to talk to children about international adoption, specifically for Africa, get this book. Beautifully written and illustrated, it will melt your heart or in my case, cause some tears as I reflect on being one month in to a long waiting process. I feel a bit emotionally drained; I’m sure I can write more later, but suffice it to say, this wait isn’t going to get any easier.

I hope to use my time in this waiting period wisely. One week from today is Orphan Sunday; is your church doing anything to support it? Our church is in the infancy stages of learning more about Orphan Sunday, but I’m hoping it can grow into something more. What a great way to spend one day focusing on these precious children.

November brings about Adoption Awareness Month. If you have a minute in your prayers, pray for these orphans. Pray for adoptive families. Pray for adoption agencies, and the countries who are working to place these children with their forever families. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you.
 
Warmly,
Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment