Saturday, June 30, 2012

Well, Oprah, let me tell you my life story.

Holy cow, I knew there was a lot of paperwork, but I simply underestimated the sheer volume of it all! Documents upon documents, fingerprinting, criminal background checks... I understand why they call this period the paper chase.

Part of the paper chase is completing the home study, which can take a couple of months, depending on the visits and of course, the paperwork. And part of the home study consists of writing your autobiography.

Have you ever written your life story? Ever wondered how you got to this point in your life? Ever wondered about how your events led up to this moment? I'm living through that now, and there are nice parts to the story, and not-so-nice parts. Writing my autobiography for someone to read who I don't even know feels like going onto a talk show and telling strangers all the details to what makes me, me. The good, the bad and the ugly. It's painful, yet therapeutic.

I love this quote:

I don't know who wrote it, but I saw it on Pinterest and thought, "Man, what a great reminder for me, especially as I write my autobiography."

As I read through my history, there are most definitely some points in my life where I could have gotten stuck on a page. And I won't lie to you. Sometimes I have. And I'm sure going forward I will. But if I get stuck on a page, I might miss out on something completely amazing that God has planned for me. I want to keep moving forward, because as I am reminded:

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

We all have crazy lives, in some form or fashion. But isn't it exciting to think that God has a plan for us and that we get to live it out? All we need to do is follow it, and not get hung up on a page.

And on that note, I guess it's time for me to finish up that autobiography and move on to the next document.

With love,
Courtney


No comments:

Post a Comment